Latest Additions & Markdowns
Posters & Prints
Promo / Other
Live in the Heartland
Backstreets Back Issues
Returns or order by mail:
1818 MLK Jr Blvd #300
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(select at checkout):
Delivery is U.S. Mail or UPS Ground in the U.S.; or
Air Mail for International orders. Please allow 1-4 weeks for standard
shipping. We always do our best to fulfill orders as quickly as possible,
and there's a very good chance you'll receive yours sooner than that....
but we do ask that you allow up to four weeks for standard shipping.
Shipping is available to U.S. destinations. Customers requesting Overnight
or 2-Day service should have delivery within, respectively, one
or two business days from when we received your order. Expedited orders
received after 2 p.m. Eastern will usually be processed the following
Thanks for shopping with Backstreet Records!
We offer a money-back guarantee on every item in our shop. To return merchandise for any reason within 30 days of purchase, for either refund or exchange, simply contact Customer Service at the phone number/email address above to arrange a no-hassle return. If arranging an exchange for merchandise that is not damaged or defective (such as needing a different T-shirt size), we do ask that the customer cover additional shipping costs.
Book: When the Promise Was Broken
|Quantity in Basket:none|
Shipping Weight: 0.80 pounds
|When the Promise Was Broken: Short Plays Inspired by the Songs of Bruce Springsteen, edited by Joan Herrington, contains:
Smith and Kraus. Softcover, 178pp.
- "Drive all Night" by Steven Dietz
- "Bloody River" by Elaine Romero [inspired by "American Skin (41 Shots)"]
- "I'm on Fire" by Gregory Moss
- "Glad for the Company" by Dipika Guha [inspired by "Streets of Philadelphia"]
- "Merry-Go-Round Man" by Edward Baker [inspired by "Cover Me"]
- "The Stray" by Scott Barsotti [inspired by "Highway Patrolman"]
- "Object Permanence" by Jennifer Blackmer [inspired by "Terry's Song"]
- "Gospel Hour" by Dan and Drew Caffrey [inspired by "State Trooper"]
- "Valhalla Correctional" by Peter Ullian [inspired by "We Take Care of Our Own"]
- "Pick Up Beds" by K Frithjof Peterson [inspired by "When You're Alone"]
- "Birthday Wishes" by Nikkole Salter [inspired by "Secret Garden"]
- "Growin' Up, or, I was a Teenage Bruce Springsteen!" by Steve Feffer
"When the Promise Was Broken is a remarkable collection built around an inspired notion -- pull together a diverse group of first rate American playwrights to write original pieces inspired by the work of one of this nation's indispensable songwriters. The result: a rich and vital body of work that plumbs the depths of the American psyche with all its heartache, striving, passion, loneliness and ultimately, hope."
--CARLOS MURILLO, Head of Playwriting, The Theatre School of DePaul University
"Throughout history, music has been so deeply embedded in theater that the distinction may be more illusion than reality -- which is to say that there's something almost inevitable (and at the same time strikingly original) about this book of plays based on Springsteen's music."
--CRAIG WERNER, Author of A Change Is Gonna Come: Music, Race & the Soul of America
"The songs of Bruce Springsteen are fertile ground, rich with drama -- whole worlds packed into three-minute records. These thirteen playwrights have managed some inspired unpacking: expanding, imagining, re-imagining and conceiving characters ready to take one moment into their hands."
--CHRISTOPHER PHILLIPS, Editor of Backstreets