The new fourth edition of Rock & Roll Tour of the Jersey Shore by Stan Goldstein and Jean Mikle is now available.
The first three editions of this book, published in 2002 (64 pages) and 2005 (146 pages) and 2008 (200 pages), are sold out and no longer available -- so this new edition is particularly welcome, and highly recommended for those who have ever wondered what sites to see when they make that pilgrimage to Bruce Springsteen's Jersey Shore.
Published in December of 2013, the fourth edition has 200 pages with more than 600 photos of Springsteen, Jon Bon Jovi, Southside Johnny and many others who made their mark on the Asbury Park and Jersey Shore music scene over the years. The book details close to 200 locations of historical rock 'n' roll sites in New Jersey's Monmouth, Ocean and Middlesex counties -- including Springsteen-related clubs, houses, street corners and other landmarks in Asbury Park, Freehold, Long Branch, Red Bank and beyond. More than 40 locations are listed for Asbury Park and 30 for Freehold, all well-annotated with maps, addresses and loads of history.
Among the new features in the fourth edition are:
* Seventeen places Springsteen has performed in Asbury Park since 1968 as well as where he has filmed several music videos and even did a book signing.
* A look at 12 movies filmed in Asbury Park starring such great actors as Robert De Niro, Diane Keaton, Woody Allen and Mickey Rourke.
*A special Sunday night in July 2011 when Springsteen played at the Wonder Bar in Asbury Park, his first public performance after the passing of Clarence Clemons.
* A first-person report of being an extra in Springsteen's "We Take Care of Our Own" video filmed on Mattison Avenue in Asbury Park in January of 2012.
* Sixteen places Springsteen has lived at the Jersey Shore prior to 1983.
* Remembering Asbury Park's legendary West Side music scene.
* Longtime Jersey Shore DJ Jeff Raspe reflects on his favorite shows over the years.
* President Obama's visit to the Asbury Park boardwalk in May of 2013.
* Superstorm Sandy's impact on the Jersey Shore and its music scene.
* Sixteen full pages of color photos.
Stan and Jean are lifelong New Jersey residents who have witnessed much of the Jersey Shore's rock 'n' roll history over the past 35-plus years. They have given walking tours of Springsteen sites to thousands of fans since 1999.
Softbound, 198 pp.